Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Elliott's big boy - modern train room

For part of his birthday gift (just over a month until he turns 3!) we turned the nursery into a big boy room for Elliott.  He seems to love it and I really like how it turned out.  It's a tiny room but the layout fits much better and the colors make it feel quite a bit bigger!

I didn't want to repaint (it was yellow when we moved here, plus that's Elliott's favorite color) and wanted an off-beat color scheme to offset a more traditional boy theme.



The curtains used to be in our kitchen for the last 7 years.  I bleached them to brighten them back up (they weren't in that bad of shape) and added the gray and white chevron fabric (I already had) to the top.

The curtain rod also used to be in our kitchen prior to the remodel and I'm glad I saved it.  I just spray painted it.



I found the railroad sign at a garage sale, made the train cut out art, and designed the printable sign in Photoshop.  I bought the "E" for $2 at the craft store and added stripes.



Feel free to print & download if you wish.  Version 1 is here and version 2 is here.

The train print on the left is a framed page from The Little Engine That Could. It has a happy face and is carrying animals, which means it is the best train ever, according to Elliott.



I found this rug at Target for $29.  He thinks it looks like train tracks.



We decided to keep Ryan's old dressers.  I painted the multi-color stripes back to a neutral white.  We bolted the dressers to the wall as monkey was starting to climb up and I caught them a couple of times as they began to tip.

Then I found this ikea bed (used) that matched the white & maple wood theme.  I liked the drawers under neath for extra storage in a smaller bedroom.



We didn't have any room for a night stand, so got an Ikea spice rack (super cheap!) to hold a few books.  I got the bulletin board at a garage sale already matching his decorations :) He loves pictures so I thought it would be fun for him to have a place to hang some favorites.

Eventually I'd like to add a wall mounted light by the book shelf, but I don't trust him with that yet.  He can reach the light switch to his room from his bed which he thinks is cool, however.



I ordered the train decal (10x60") from Etsy seller GoatGrinStudio.





He's a happy boy!



Thanks for looking!  All of his room photos can be found here.  Also thanks to my friend Laura for helping me with a few design questions :)





3 comments:

julie April 2, 2014 at 9:55 AM  

What a ham! He cracks me up !

julie April 2, 2014 at 9:55 AM  

Turned out great, Kathy!

Amy and Mike April 3, 2014 at 2:56 AM  

His room is fantastic!!! Such a fun big boy room - great job!

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP