Thursday, May 2, 2013

Another leap!

Andrew seems to be going through another language leap.  His grammar, sentence structure, length of utterances, and use of pronouns, really took off about 2 months ago.  

But now I'm seeing another huge difference!  All of a sudden he is talking about emotions and more abstract concepts. He's talking a lot about what makes him sad/happy/scared/excited.  I really haven't heard him use these words before.



Tonight we went on a walk to see the trucks. We were talking about the types of trucks that help build homes, and he chimed in randomly, "Mommy, I'm thankful for my Grandma.  I like to dance with her!"

Another night he said, "Mommy, I don't like watching Cars because it scares me.  Backyardigans makes me feel better."

One day he told a friend, "Jamie, I'm so happy today."  When she asked why he said, "Because I got to see Gigi!" (Gigi is his great grandma that visited after being in Florida all winter, so he hadn't seen her in a few months.)

Another day at lunch he said, "Mommy, I'm so happy."  When I asked him why, he said, "Because school makes me happy."


One night before bed I was reading him a book about hugs and how we use hugs in different situations.  After we were done I asked him who he likes to hug.  He said, "Grandma Beth" and I asked why and he said, "Because I miss her."  I asked who else he likes to hug and he said, "Grandpa Jim" and "Because it makes me so happy."

One night the boys were playing cars on the deck and Andrew went up to Elliott and was saying, "Please Elliott, can I have Chuck the dump truck? I'll give you this race car?" and Elliott ran away and hid under the picnic table.

After I finished getting Andrew ready to go out to dinner he said, "Mommy, I might look adorable."



On our first really warm day, "Mommy, I'm so excited to play outside in the water."  Later the neighbor started up his lawn mower and he ran inside and said "Mommy, I'm afraid of the lawn mower."

He's also starting to be a little smarty pants.  Last night I was reading him a book and he pointed and said "Mommy, what's that?"  I was tired and I said "It's a blanket"...and he said, "No Mommy, it's a quilt."  Huh.  I guess I need to pay  more attention ;)  He was right, by the way.

One day he randomly said, "I can spell Lamborghini."  So I said "okay, how?" and after sounding the whole thing out, he came up with "Lambgni". 

He also got a rave report from his speech therapist at school.  Mechanics-wise he's doing amazing and she said if she has to guess, he'll probably be in speech therapy to work on conversational language until about 1st or 2nd grade.  I'm so impressed with his progress, so after discussing with his therapist, he's taking the summer off and enrolling in basketball (his choice) instead of therapy :-) 


0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP