Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Walking in a DIY Dino Hoodie

My friend Jacquie gave me the idea (Thank you Pinterest!) to make a DIY Dino Hoodie for Elliott.  I figured it could be cute in pictures when he learned to walk.

And so his first steps outside happened in style. 

Mom, seriously.
 

First steps outside.
 

Ah, this is more my pace.  (Well, as of a week ago...now he prefers to walk!) 
 

 

To make this cute hoodie, I started with a plain sweatshirt from Target.  The Circo brand sweatshirts are a nice bang for the buck.  In the past, I've also had good luck finding plain shirts for crafts at Goodwill or Garage sales.  I tend not to go to Once Upon A Child because Circo brand is so cheap already. 

 

The original pattern I saw only used one color of felt for the spikes, but seemed a little boring, so I added a 2nd color.  Especially since my sweatshirt was just gray.  I like how it turned out!

 

You cut diamonds out of felt and then basically sew a straight line down the spine of the dino.  It's more or less as easy as that, but check out the patterns for more detail.

 

 

I didn't tie down the orange spike layer so that it would be a little more textured and rough looking :)

 

Here is a link to the tutorial I used! It took me about 15 minutes!



Happy sewing!!

5 comments:

Stephanie November 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM  

cute! Thanks for the link to the tutorial!

Amy and Mike November 24, 2012 at 3:09 AM  

Love this hoodie - great job!

JJ June 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM  

has this held up in the wash?

Jamee June 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM  

Has this held up in the wash?

Kathy June 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM  

yes, very well!

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP