Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Everybody needs a little down time...

A quick preface: As many of you already know, Ryan and I enjoy card and board games. I think part of this is because we spend a good deal of our time at work staring at a computer screen, so often the last thing we want to do with our spare time involves a TV or computer monitor. :-) It's also nice to spend some quality time together or with friends while playing a game.

Ryan knows I really enjoy a board game called "The Settlers of Catan." We generally play this with some friends of ours who own the game, but you need at least three people to play it. Since getting together with friends is already limited, he bought me the "Catan Card Game" for Valentine's day, which is for two players. I love it!


We got to play it this past weekend after going out for dinner on Saturday night. It was really nice to get to spend some quality time together, chatting and just enjoying each other's company. Our record is now 1-1, but hopefully that will swing in my favor over time!

So yes, contrary to popular belief, even we get a little time to relax! :-)

Here are some of my favorite games.
puzzle game - Blokus (it's sort of like Tetris, but in a board game!)
party game - Apples to Apples
family games - Ticket to Ride, For Sale, Incan Gold, Carcassonne
2-player game - Lost Cities, Pandemic
dexterity game - PitchCar

For anyone interested, our favorite website to order games (about 30% cheaper than retail) is Thought Hammer.

edit: Pandemic is also an awesome family game!

8 comments:

Jen March 4, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

I *love* Settlers of Catan and Apples to Apples! You should try Phase 10 Twist. It's a card and board game all in one! You can play two player but it's more fun with more people. I love games!

Chantelle March 4, 2009 at 7:52 PM  

We just went over to our friends this last weekend for game night. Apples to Apples is always a favorite (although it is the jr. edition). They just got the Settlers game as well but we didn't get to that one.

Andrea March 4, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

I am a huge fan of Settler's of Catan! Rob just showed me the card game a few weeks ago so I was wondering if it was any good. Now looks like we may have to invest in it soon!

Cathy March 5, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

We've missed you at Game Night, not that we've had many of late, but we've missed you just the same. I'm a big fan of Ticket to Ride, and Apples to Apples too. But mostly I'm just glad you're getting some personal down time and quality Mom and Dad time. You'll be better parents if you keep it fresh.

Lauren March 5, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

OMG, I love Blokus! I want to buy it but Brian hates games. Go figure.

Emily March 7, 2009 at 10:56 PM  

Kathy, did you know you can play Settlers online? I play at www.asobrain.com. You have to register, but you do get tocompete against either bots or real people and in the real people, you even are ranked. I love it!

Anonymous March 9, 2009 at 11:12 AM  

I think Nick and I are due for a game night with you! Have you ever played Spinners? I think you would both really like it- it's dominos with a twist. Nick will be calling you soon!
-Sarah

Kathy March 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

Hey Sarah! We've never played spinners but it sounds fun...we'll talk to you soon!

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP